Yeeeeehaaaaawww!!! I've waited a LONG TIME for this button to come my way...… and as of yesterday this ultra rare button has a new caretaker!!! Tice's LA 270 Albert's LA17...... Voltiguers D' Orleans (Voltigeurs of New Orleans); convex, two - piece. Scovill made these silver plated buttons during the 1840's. In 1861, the Voltigeurs were incorporated into Stonewall Jackson's Regiment of Louisiana Militia Infantry Battalion as the 1st Company, under Colonel J. B. G. Kennedy's 5th Battalion home guard command. The group took part in the Battle of Belmont. On Febuary 9, 1862 four new companies were added to create the 21st Louisiana Regiment. The Voltigeurs were probably present on Island Number 10 where they built batteries, and then went to Fort Pillow. Later, the army sent the men to Florence Mississippi, where they fought a skirmish. After marching to Tupelo, General Bragg ordered the regiment disbanded in July, 1862. Two of these rare buttons have been found at Virginia campsites.....this being one of them. The device is a flaming bomb and hunting horn at the center of a plain field, with the inscription "VOLTIGEURS D' ORLEANS" in an arc along the edge. The copper face is silver plated, 25mm. Backmark reads " *SCOVILLS * / EXTRA SUPERFINE" rmdc. I have been waiting a long time for this button to find it's way into my collection! This button has ties to VMI being that Stonewall Jackson was an instructor there. In fact, at one point, this button was almost purchased by VMI to be placed in their honorary museum. This button was found in the mid 90's in Varina Virginia and was published in North South Trader at that time. It is just as it was dug..... never having been cleaned. It retains over 90 percent of it's thick silver gilt and has a stand out shank! Perfect in every way!!! This button has always captivated me and I don't know how many times I have looked at that magnificent picture over the last 25 + years! It is an honor to own such a rarity amongst Confederate Civil War State Regimental buttons!!!
(1) Thanks to John Harris for helping me obtain one the the neatest Memphis Novelty Works two piece CS buckles. John was most knowledgeable and presented himself in a most professional way. Thanks again. Bill Beard
(2) I just received the two piece South Carolina buckle from John today. I believe this is the sixth plate I have purchased from him with in the last eight months. The buckle is everything and more than what he described there are A few dealers that I will do business with and John is one of the cream of the crop. Thank you John for your honesty and integrity! Tom S. (3) I purchased this D -Guard Bowie knife from John. I can tell you I am very pleased with this knife. I am truly honored to own this piece of history. To know that this was someone's treasured weapon and tool so many years ago is amazing. I will treasure this knife. Thankyou John for allowing me to be its caretaker! Steve W (4) I consigned three buttons to John that I wanted to sell quickly, he found a buyer for them in two days. He sold them for a great price and I had my money within three days. I would definitely recommend him and I would use him again in the future. All my voicemails and text messages were answered on time. He was very honest and professional.
Gene B. (5) I always love it when my customers are happy!!! Customer satisfaction and helping others get their next center piece to their collection is what we are all about! We strive for excellence!!! .......John ,many thanks for the wonderful shako hat plate received here Saturday! It was actually better than described, well packaged & will be a welcomed addition to my collection. Looking forward to seeing what you list next as there is always a treasure trove of great quality relics at Quartermaster General Relics! Thanks again John & continued success. Roger Y. (6) I got a review yesterday that speaks volumes....He has graciously allowed me to post this on my site. He needs no introduction to the Civil War collecting world! Message:
John: Happy Saturday. Just want to take a moment to complement you on a top-notch website. Excellent job, indeed. Keep up the good work. I'll definitely visit often. I've got way too much stuff (50 years' worth of top-end non-dug buttons. accoutrement plates, cased images, martial arms and blades, powder martial powder flasks and other trinkets) but a new piece every week or so always brightens my day. The addiction never ends. Dan Binder ("Binder on Buttons" for NSTCW magazine) (7) Review: “I wanted to invest in a certain relic that was not available on the Quartermaster General website or for that matter it was not available on anyone’s website due to its’ rarity. I told John what I was looking for and he tracked one down and actually had it available for me in less than 24 hours. Wow, that’s what I call service and the right connections. Give John an email if you need that special relic and maybe he can help you out! Thanks John for a job well done!” Mike M. (8) Matt Lockard : Just bought an Engineers button from John. Looking forward to future dealings! (9) Chris Carroll : I just purchased a beautiful early Marine Corp button from John. He is not like most dealers and takes his time to search out the very best! (10) Chris Harwick : My first purchase will not be my last. John is an upstanding guy. Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. If you are looking for rare items this is the place to be! (11) Chris Harwick : Another deal has been made on a great belt plate, and as always very smooth. John has been easy to work with every time. He is a good man! (12) Chris Rounds : John and I met a few years ago, he purchased a few items from me and gave me fair prices. I just recently bought a one dollar gold coin from him and to my surprise he sent me a gold coin that had a better grade than the original one that I had purchased. John is honest and knowledgable. Looking forward to future business together! (13) Mike McLaughlin : Another great relic bought from John. It's hard for dealers to price an item when the item is just not available or comes around in a blue moon. John does a good job with his prices and will work with you. If you want it, get it, because you may not see it again for sale! Price guides are just that ……….guides. (14) Bob Patton : Received my copy of "Collecting the Confederacy" from John today. Absolutely wonderful book only topped by my experience of working with John. Starting from our initial conversation to delivery, John was very much engaged in the entire process. His item description was absolutely perfect. John is laser focused on customer service and ensuring customer satisfaction! Would recommend his site as a place to find truly investment grade Civil War relics! Great experience! Thanks John (15) Randy Burnham : Thanks again for the great transaction. I received the Missouri button today and it was better than I expected. The packaging was great, no chance for any damage in transit. I really appreciate you working with me on the lay a way plan so I could afford to get this rare button! Every part of the transaction was smooth and stress free, from making payments to communication, to the fast and secure shipping , it was flawless! I will definitely be doing business with you in the future. Thanks again for everything! (16) Mike McLaughlin : Where Dreams Come True! Thanks for an easy purchase. Great lawaway terms! WooHoo I'm a happy happy camper with a sweet deal from John on a rare item. I think I need to pinch myself because I've been waiting a long time to own what I just purchased! Thanks!
(17) Mike McLaughlin : Great Dealer and Collector! John is an honest dealer and collector. I was very pleased with the transaction. A 10 out of 10 quality item. Smooth transaction. It is always nice to deal with a person who knows quality and rarity. John has the best of the best to offer! All guaranteed original and as stated. I will be dealing with John again! 5 star rating!
(18) Mike McLaughlin : I really enjoy looking at the site John has put together! Keep up the great work! QuarterMaster General Relics is now my #1 go to website for the most awesome Civil War relics. I am a repeat customer and will be buying more. No junk here, just very nice relics!!!
(19) Jason Bradshaw : I recently purchased a beautiful stamped Virginia plate from John! The plate is gorgeous!! I'm very pleased with the new addition to my collection! The price was very reasonable and the transaction couldn't have gone any smoother!! John even went way out of his way to meet me so we could make the exchange face to face!! I can't say how happy I am with my purchase!! A++! (20) Dennis Headlee : John, I received the beautiful Louisiana side knife. Since this was a first transaction between us, I want to express my gratitude and satisfaction with the item, and your handling of the business between us. Your communications were prompt and accurate, the shipped item was well packaged and the knife is a real gem. I look forward to future dealings with you and wish you well in your endeavors my friend. (21) Randy Burnham : John, thanks for another smooth transaction. The button is way better than described and pictured! Shopping as always was fast and secure. Great company to do business with and great relics! (22) James Prose : Hi John, Just dropping you a note to let you know how happy I am with my recent purchase! Your description was "spot on". I collect Vermont items and this 1st Vermont Cartridge Box Plate is the cream of my collection, (due to it's rarity)…… I'll keep checking your web page for the unique items that keep showing up! All the best and thank you! Jim Prose Waco, Texas (23) Colby Auckland : The Revolutionary War Continental USA button was as pictured and as described. Amazingly good shape for it's age! Fair price. Great communication from seller throughout the buying process and after. Shipping was quick and packaging was excellent! Will continue to shop with Quartermaster General Relics! I recommend anyone looking for Civil War/Rev War relics to talk to John from my experiences shopping on other sites and dealing with other dealers. John's prices are much more fair and he is great to communicate with! (24) Phil McCoy : I was so excited to receive my SUPERFIN PARIS back marked Kentucky button from John Harris today! John runs a first class relic business and you will not be dissatisfied, in fact I have already ordered two more pieces for my collection. His inventory consists of well described, high quality, authentic relics! Give John a call if you're in the market for museum quality relics at a fair price! (25) Jon Hickox : I bought three absolutely beautiful Confederate buttons from John Harris and I couldn't have been more pleased with them. John was extremely professional and very responsive to deal with. When the package arrived I was impressed with how much care he had put into wrapping them so he could ensure the precious cargo arrived safely. It was obvious I was dealing with a professional who knew what he was doing. I highly recommend Quartermaster General Relics and I look forward to doing more business with John Harris. (26) Clint Allen: Thanks John for the great South Carolina button. Really a top shelf example at a good price! Thanks!!! (27) Spruce Hart: I received the NC button today and it's great! I appreciate the layaway and the quick shipping, most of all thanks for the note. Many times it seems as though that transactions on the internet are very impersonal. Thanks for taking the time to send a hand written note in place of a business card or receipt. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Look forward to future dealings. Kindest regards, Spruce Hart. (28) Jonathan Beasley : Great doing business! (29) Roy Elliot: I just recently bought a Texas D button from Mr John Harris that was a great button. One of the best I have seen! Mr Harris has a great interest in all kinds of relics and he puts together a great assortment of top shelf relics to sell on his site "Quartermaster General Relics" for all collectors out here coast to coast. He is just a great person all around! Thanks a lot. Roy (30) Just wanted to take a moment and say a Big Thank You to John at Quartermaster General Relics for the great service I received in my purchase of Tice's book. The transaction was smooth and John was prompt and kept me informed during the process. John and I also exchanged photos of some of our relics during the process. I would definitely consider another purchase from Quartermaster General Relics! Thank you John! H. R. Polter
(30) Mike McLaughlin : Vermont Dog Tag received today and it looks great! Thanks my friend! (31) John Rierson : Thanks John! I received the beaitiful Maryland button yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. I have looked a long time for a dug Canfield marked one. Also, thanks for the bonus map. You have top grade dug relics and I look forward to your future listings.
(32) Spruce Hart : I received the HMA cuff this morning and it is even better than the pictures.
Thank you for the layaway and the note you sent with the button. The note is a good way to make this more personal and I thank you for that. Good luck digging this summer and I will be checking your site on a regular basis.
(33) Edgar Howell : John,
That Eagle C was received today and it is a magnificent button! Thank you again (34) Tom :REVIEW..... Wow I just completed my first transaction with John. I got my North Carolina plate and it was nicer than what he described.... everything about this transaction was great!! I’ve dealt with some very good people in this business Shannon Prichard, Alan Gaskins and the most helpful Harry Ridgeway and believe me John is right up there with them! Looking forward to my next purchase the stamped Virginia plate. Thanks again John!!! (35) Hi John:
I received the NC Beehive button and General cape pin and they are both awesome!
I profoundly complement you for your great website, personal attention and I consider you a friend that I will do business with in the future.
A pleasure to know you! (36) Just received the Virginia plate from John Harris / Quartermaster General Relics and believe me, the plate is nicer than what John described!! It’s great to deal with someone like John who sells you a piece and you don’t have to worry that your relic has been played with ! Thanks again John! Tom (37) Hi John, The buttons arrived the other day and are both absolutely awesome!
Have a great weekend!
God bless, Len (38) I received this AVC Wings Up button in the mail today and I can already tell it's gonna be one of my favorites. It shines from across the room! Thankyou John for giving me the opportunity to own this piece of Alabama history! Steve W (39) John is very professional to work with and quite knowledgeable when it comes to Colonial and Civil War era relics. The Young and Smith backmarked South Carolina coat button that was dug in the defenses of Charleston, SC was an ideal addition to my collection of artifacts from the Lowcountry. John made the entire process very smooth and I will most assuredly purchase from him again in the future. Bill L. (40)Another top notch quality item from Quartermaster General Relics! I cannot wait to see what is listed next. Many thanks John & will definitely be back! Roger Y. (41) I want to thank Mr. John Harris for his help in letting me have a chance to buy and own a great Texas Republic Star Plate to put in with my Texas buttons, Hat Stars, and other Texas artifacts for the centerpiece in my display case. Mr John Harris is fair to everyone, you can't find a more knowledgable person when dealing and selling and collecting great artifacts. He has helped me multiple times to make my collection better with high grade relics. He is a true collector of history and a great friend. Roy E. (42) Another outstanding transaction, drop dead gorgeous button (better than pictures) and a great price! Excellent communication, fast shipping and secure packaging! John is a pleasure to deal with!!! Don A.